California Child Care Referral Process

Ring Around the Rosie

How can the Resource and Referral (R&R) agency help?

YMCA Childcare Resource Service (CRS) is funded by the State Department of Education, Child Development Division, and offers valuable services to families and child care providers. YMCA CRS serves as the community child care link and provides free child care referral services to parents.

YMCA CRS child care consultants work closely with parents to provide them with the information they need to find and evaluate appropriate quality child care. Whether you are a new or experienced parent, the dedicated staff of trained child care consultants can help you:

  • Assess, identify and clarify your child care needs
  • Understand your options for child care
  • Provide referrals to licensed child care providers that best match your needs
  • Make informed decisions that benefit you and your family

For more information, contact the R&R Department at (800) 481-2151.

How does the Resource and Referral process work?

When a family calls an R&R consultant, the consultant helps the family define their child care needs. The consultant will request information about:

- the number of children needing care
- the ages of the children
- the days and hours the family will need care
- the preferred child care location
- special required child care needs or settings

The R&R consultant enters the family information into the referral database and creates a referral list of licensed child care provider for the family. The family can always call back for more referrals.

KidAll families are informed that child care referrals are not intended to be an endorsed reference or recommendation. YMCA Childcare Resource Service does not visit or inspect child care programs. It is the family’s responsibility to make a decision about what choice is best for their individual needs or requirements.

As a parent, you have the right and responsibility to get information about any substantiated or inconclusive complaints about a child care provider that you select for your child. That information is public and you can get it by calling the local licensing office at (619) 767-2200.